DLC's Definition of Categories
Back to specifications page
Continue to our testing requirements page
- Outdoor Pole or Arm mounted Area and Roadway Luminaires. Typical street lights, parking lot lights. May be cobra-head shaped, shoe-box, etc.
- Outdoor Pole or arm mounted Decorative Luminaires. Commonly, in-town street lights, may be acorn-shaped, etc.
- Outdoor Wall-Mounted Area Luminaires. Typically walk-way or security lights, affixed to building wall. May be box-shaped.
- Parking Garage Luminaire.
Ceiling mounted luminaire for outdoor or open to elements such as multi-deck garage and gas station canopy.
- Track or Mono-point Directional Lighting Fixtures. Usually ceiling mounted tracks or fixed single head. Adjustable aim ‘cans’. Complete LED fixtures (not replacement lamps in existing cans such as PAR 38 or MR16 lamps).
**If your product does not meet this definition you may qualify under ENERGY STAR's recessed downlight or
surface mounted with directional head
- Refrigerated Case Lighting. Strip lights, either vertical mount along refrigerator case door mullions or horizontal shelf-mount.
- Display Case Lighting. Strip lights. Usually mounted horizontally at frame edges of glass case. Not replacement lamps such as MR16 or PAR 38 lamps.
- 2x2 Luminaires. Recessed, suspended or surface mounted fixtures.
- High-bay and Low-bay fixtures for Commercial and Industrial buildings. Pendent or surface mounted fixtures specific for indoor high ceiling spaces (no requirement for mounting height).
Disclaimer: The DesignLightsConsortium® holds the right to make revisions or changes to the current definitions at any given period. Our judgment as to defining each category is solely ours, and we do not take responsibility for your product’s ability or inability to meet these definitions based on your application. We do not claim to be agents or associates of ENERGY STAR, or any other body. Our aim is to advance Solid State Lighting technology quickly and responsibly, reducing customer risk and meeting expectations.